What to do with that hand, now I've made it?

I want to make a relief to hang on the wall with my skeletal hand.  It's a simple composition which just involves the hand superimposed on top of a thumb print.  Currently the thumb print is about half complete.




Though it's a little hard to see in that photo, the whorls of the thumb print emerge from the canvas background a little like the ripples that happen when you drop a stone into water.  

I've done this by taking the same lengths of wire wrapped in paper that I used to make the hand's vascular system, gluing them onto a canvas, then using paper to build up the forms and blend them into the canvas surface.


First stage of making the thumb print: wire ridges glued onto the canvas background.

The background looks black,  but is actually indigo.  It looks black in person, as well as to the camera, but it is richer and deeper than black acrylic, and it does a better job of blending into the blue and red tones I'm using to paint the thumb print.  These are the same colours that I used on the blood vessels of the hand, which will hopefully tie the whole thing together.




The thumb print, of course, is my own.  I took a print and blew it up on the photocopier to make it easier to see, then used that to copy the ridges.

Comments